Friday, July 26, 2013

The Pox

Surely this was something we hadn't planned on dealing with yet ...

So first a lovely pic of our boy ...

IMG_4947
Chicken Pox, Day 1 ... you'd never know
And no, we have no idea where he caught them. We've barely been out. And not many people have been around. Who knows ... and really it doesn't matter. But still .. 4-1/2 months is sooo early but especially so for a premie whose immune system isn't as strong as a full-term baby.

IMG_4975
Friday with Oma Didi - Chicken Pox, Day 2
IMG_4979
Day 3
It started Thursday afternoon when I noticed a blister on his head. A friend said it looked like a sweat blister. Hmmm, ok ... Another on Friday and I still wondered. Oma Didi who popped by said the same, a "sweat blister." Saturday a few more including some on his face and torso and he slept almost the entire day.

IMG_4994
Day 4 
Sunday morning, yeh, definitely a fever and more pox but he was in a good mood. Still, we decided it was time to call the house doctor who confirmed my suspicion. I'm telling you .. *always* listen to your momma's instincts!!

We called mainly because we'd never dealt with a fever for Finn and also to find out if there is anything to watch for. Since it was Sunday we got the "dokter van wacht" the doctor on call but he was nice, funny and very reassuring. It's just something to get through.

Monday Finn was increasingly clingy and needed to be with Axel or I constantly. He was eating fine, but mostly sleeping ... in our arms.

But then this happened. The kid was covered. His fever was also persisting so we called our family doctor who suggested we come in that evening. By the time we went, Finn looked like this. The poor poor kid. As our family doctor called his children's doctor (who answered the phone while on vacation) said .. the poor kid was "bomb full."

Chicken PoxThe two doctors spoke at length and agreed on an action plan. First a few prescriptions and we were to take Finn to see one of the team of children's doctors at the hospital on Monday.

IMG_4997
Day 5 
That night we got set up for me to sleep in the rocking chair with him if needed. In our bedroom with the air conditioning running because as luck would have it we were about to head into a heat wave.

At 1am I woke Axel because Finn's temp had pushed even higher and I felt we should head to the ER for advise. Thank goodness, as it had gone up even more in the half hour we were underway and I had noticed some swelling in his upper arm as we drove along. In the ER we noticed it was also in his face and funnily even his ears were chubby looking.

The ER doctor on call said we hadn't come to soon, and thankfully not too late. But waiting until morning would have been pushing it. Finn had an infection under his skin that would need to be treated by intravenous antibiotics. And so we were admitted. Momma and Finn into a mother and child room ...

The next few days were a bit of a blur as I stayed close by his bed, feeding him and snuggling whenever I could. Thankfully he only lost his appetite for about 3 feedings when the fever was at it's highest. And yes, it got worse and climbed to a frightful 39,8 before breaking. This stupid heat wave didn't help (I say "this" because it continues and we are well into week 2 already). Snuggling with momma only made things worse but eventually I found out that by putting him on his tummy to sleep in the crib meant I could lay an ice pack on his back and he would sleep for longer lengths. A few sessions of this and the fever broke but then fluctuated up and down for another day before subsiding.

Stay calm was our motto but I have to admit, this was scarier than anything we had been through in the NICU. Thankfully he was again looked after by the fantastic team of children's doctors at Maria Middelares. And most of the nurses were good except for one frightful one that had the night shift the entire time we were there.

We were oh so glad to be released after 3 nights, on Friday, and Axel picked us up after work.

This is our little trooper after our first sleep at home ... snuggling with momma Saturday morning.

Fever free, just looking frightfully spotty.

IMG_5009
Chicken Pox, Day 10


No comments:

Post a Comment